Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mom's Cast Iron Skillet

Part of my plans for simplifying my life include learning to cook from scratch using basic equipment instead of a lot of electric gadgets.

The first step I have taken is to get rid of my electric fry pan and teflon coated pots and replaced them with Mom's Cast Iron Skillet.  Mom would be about 100 years old and so I imagine this skillet must be at least 65 years old.  I've heard of comfort food but I have a comfort skillet.

I was hesitant to use this cast iron skillet but after using it for about a dozen times I now love it.  Wish I'd started using it a long time ago.

I wonder what my next lesson will be.

3 comments:

  1. I love cooking with cast iron, Maggie. But I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant many years ago when I started using my skillets and griddle. One thing that I have learned that works well is when I've washed up the skillet after use, I simply spray with a bit of cooking spray, wipe it around and I never have a problem with sticking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cast Iron skillets are FABULOUS!! I don't have one myself, but I borrow Mum's from time to time! You will find cooking so much better with them! I also use one when camping!

    Quiltingly Yours
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. After my husband's grandmother died, we got two of her cast iron skillets. I enjoy using them so much! I love that they are a family heirloom that won't be ruined by using and enjoying it!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete